Greek-Americans Looking for Work in Greece

I could simply tell you that as they say, "anything is possible if you want it bad enough". The real question, though, is why would you want to come here to work and live in the first place?

It certainly can't be because of the money. Unless you can get hired by an American firm like IBM or Microsoft directly from the States and get transferred to Greece as a high ranking executive, forget it. People in the computer field get paid peanuts over here.

I doubt that you want to come here so that you will get the opportunity to serve in the Greek army. All Greek men are required to serve up to 2 years in the Greek military up to the age of 49. If you are older than 49 then you miss out. Also, if you have already served 2 years or more in the U.S. military, then you can get out of that obligation. But, otherwise, Greek citizenship comes with a stretch in the Greek army.

If you still want to come here, I can help you. The red tape is frustrating but it can be done.

The first thing to do is to determine whether or not you are entitled to Greek citizenship as your birthright. This is rather easy to ascertain. According to Greek law at the time of your birth, Greeks get their citizenship rights from their father only. This means that the fact that your mother is Greek doesn't help you. Therefore the question is which of your father's parents is Greek. If it is his father (your grandfather) then your in. If it is his mother (your grandmother) then you are out of luck. If this is the case, all is not lost. You can still apply for Greek citizenship and based upon the fact that you have so many close relatives of Greek descent they will probably naturalize you after a short waiting period.

Second, you will need to gather all pertinent documents including the following:

1. Your Birth Certificate
2. Your Father's Birth Certificate
3. Your Parent's Greek Orthodox or other Christian marriage license.
4. Your Grandfather's Birth Certificate. (Or your Grandmother's Birth Certificate if she is the Greek.)
5. Your Grandfather's Naturalization Certificate.
6. Your Grandmother's Naturalization Certificate.
7. Your Grandparents Greek Orthodox or other Christian marriage license.
8. Your Grandfather's "Family Registration". (Or your Grand- mother's "Family Registration" if she is the Greek.) <This is a document issued by the municipal government of the Greek town or city where your Grandparents came from.>

* Note: All documents must be certified copies or originals. Simple photocopies will not be accepted.

That's enough to get started. The bureaucratic machinery that you will need to deal with will keep you busy for some time while you try to register yourself. Many people get fed up and abandon the effort. Maybe you will have the perseverance to prevail. Time will tell.

You can get more information and begin the registration process by contacting your nearest Greek consulate.

Regards from sunny Athens, Tom

Back to Index