In order to get married in a civil ceremony you will need to obtain the following documents:

1. Birth certificates for each of you.

2. If this is not the first marriage for either of you then you will need copies of the corresponding final divorce papers.

3. A certificate from the nearest Greek embassy or consulate which will verify that there is no reason for the two of you to not get married. Note: This document should be dated within 60 days of the marriage date. Therefore wait until about 2 months before you plan to be married before you apply for this particular document. 4. Valid passorts for both of you.

Items 1 & 2 must be officially translated into Greek by your local Greek embassy or consulate. Item # 3 will be issued in Greek to begin with therefore no translation is obviously needed.

Once that is done the procedure is as follows:

1. You both must appear together with all your documents at the offices of the municipality where you plan to have the wedding where you will both sign an official application to be married and there submit the various documents you have collected. This must be done on a regular monday through friday week day and not on weekends or on holidays.

2. You will be issued then a "Protocol number" and a marriage date which will be one week from the date you submit your application.

3. You must then immediately publish an official announcement of your upcoming marriage in a local newspaper (the people at the municipal offices will help you do this) which must appear in the newspaper before the marriage.

That's about it. The cost is nominal, about US $30.00, which covers the stamp tax fee.

I hope this information is of some assistance. If you have any further questions please feel free to contact me directly and I will try my best to help.

See also

Regards from sunny Athens, Tom

Back to Tom Mazarakis Index